Thursday, May 19, 2016

Where should I start?







Many want to start reading English books, but they don’t know where to start. They try to read, push through two or three pages, get confused, and drop the mission. This is what happens most of the time. At least, it had happened with me, back in late 90s. My repeated attempts to read English books failed miserably. 

I used to get books issued from library, try reading it for 2-3 days, then return with a saddened heart. The process repeated for at least a dozen times. 


I failed to understand what the real problem with me was. 


Then one fine day (it had to be a fine day!!), one of my friends advised me to try Sidney Sheldon. I was considering him BIG and never had the courage to attempt his books. Without much hope, I issued his book THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT (you guessed it right, sequel to MEMORIES OF MIDNIGHT). 


What can I say more? 


The book was simply, wow! It changed my reading habits. I got all the books of Sheldon issued back to back. 


It was as if Chicken Tandoori to a person, who was hungry for months!


From Sidney Sheldon, I moved on to Ken Follet, to Mario Puzo, to Arundhati Roy, to Vikram Seth, to Vikas Swarup, to John Grisham, to Paulo Coelho, to Jeffrey Archer, to VS Naipaul, to Orhan Pamuk, to Aravind Adiga, to Gillian Flynn, to Paula Hawkins....


and the journey continues.....


Hence, I will advice (rather, request) you to try Sidney Sheldon or his kind of thriller (presently, Tilly Bagshawe has copied his writing style). Those will be pacey and real entertainer. Once you are habituated with English books, you can read any book. And each book will nourish you in some or other way. 


So, don't hesitate. Just jump into it. 


Because, you have to enter the pool to learn swimming.

No comments:

What are the Benefits of Hiring a PR Agency?

Media recognition, brand identity, public awareness and establishment of credibility are the essential aspects for a business firm t...